Friday, November 15, 2013

Connection Marketplace

Lance and I were talking the other day about how crucial it is in our lives to build connections with those we interact with the most, and how it significantly impacts our functionality if we don't.  I was listening to him talk about his dilemma of having a difficult time making a connection with a coworker whom he has to interact with everyday.  He wasn't bitching, or gossiping, he was genuinely distraught over it!  Like to the point that he's considering asking for a move just so he can feel comfortable in his working environment. I'm the same way, when I don't connect with someone I'm really bothered by it! Like, REALLY bothered!! I'm able to connect with just about anyone I meet with ease.  It's not hard for me to talk to 'the weird' person, or 'the quiet' person. And when I talk and ask questions, I'm genuine.  It's not fake just to be nosey.  I'm a people person.  That's what I love about working at the ballpark is I can talk to anyone, perfect strangers, and its normal because its my JOB!!
Anyway, later that evening Alex and I were talking about it but we extended the conversation.
It got me thinking about how important that really is for a typical person.
When we are in our inner circle of people we interact with on the daily, I believe it's important for us to connect and build relationships with them.  Not saying you have to get along with every person you meet, and be chummy with someone who has a different personality.  Recognizing personality differences and building a base connection with someone are two different things.
When we build a base connection with someone it is the foundation.  After that, comes friendship, after that there is trust. I think before you get to the trust level you'll know whether or not you have a personality difference with the person.  But being kind and cordial with one another ISNT HARD!! EVEN IF there is a personality difference.
How do you force it if it isnt there though?  Is it that the other person isn't giving that same base effort? Why wouldn't they? We don't have to be best friends, but what is so unhealthy about building relationships with one another? It's not hard.
We are all living. Co existing. Cohabiting. On the same earth. We breathe the same air, have things we love more than anything, have memories that make us smile, and have memories that make us cry.  We don't have to have 9 out of 10 things in common to build a relationship or connection with each other.  We just have to give a little.
Maybe that will help with building those connections.  Understanding that they dont fully understand the importance just yet. I'll keep doing what I'm doing. History tells me, they come around in time with a little consistency. I don't get scared off by the first cold shoulder or brush off.  I wouldn't have some of the greatest connections I have today if I let that bother me.   I think I'm in the market for some new connections!!

Sometimes, opposites attract.





No comments:

Post a Comment